Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Two Seconds

Today, I am grateful for two seconds.

 It has been a crazy couple weeks, and it was almost crazier by two seconds today. Two weeks ago, Christie's mom was badly hurt in a freak accident while visiting friends in Texas, leaving her with a shattered middle toe, while unable to continue their trip or travel home. Last week, Christie was in a car accident that, while we are grateful no one was hurt, has left us minus the one car that fits our whole family for two weeks.

Which brings me to today. While driving from one job to the other, I was waiting to make a left turn. The arrow turned green, and the car in front of me made the turn. For whatever reason, I was a little slower off the line than him, so I was mercifully just entering the intersection when a Suburban ran a red light and hit the back end of the car in front of me. Had I followed closely, I would have been hit head on by a large vehicle traveling, I would guess, upwards of 40 MPH.

Two seconds.

A single breath.

A slight hesitation.

All it takes for God's grace to be seen.

Why I was spared the accident, I have no idea. But I was, and for that I am grateful. I am grateful that I was able to go and do my other job. I am grateful that I was able to give my wife and each of my kids a hug tonight. I am grateful I could spend time with friends rehearsing for Sunday. I am grateful for the grace that has seen me through many near-misses, and even a few hits.

And so I ask, when have you been saved by a hair's breadth?

How have you seen God's grace today?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is good to see you writing again!
Love,
Mom